Well You read right this bear Is on the move through a beta read for a friend*cough* here’s looking at you Cat!!*cough*. I decided to do this post because well, I think beta reading is fun and being apart of the growth and creation of some ones world is just amazing. Also it will teach you think about critique another’s work and also guide you along the path of writing so yours gets better as well so it win, win all around. so here are a few things I have picked up along the way to help those seeking betas and those willing to or are betas themselves. also most of this is things form far bigger and better folks but passing on wisdom makes those listening and those speaking wiser right? right so on we go yes!
- Make sure you inform your betas of any specifics input your looking for. It helps make the process much more stream. There is a time and place for a shotgun or a rifle.
- If you are a beta try to read it two maybe more and each time look for one or two type of things to critique, as I said before shotgun versus the rifle
- when looking Beta’s get those who are dependable, but also get a diverse crew not just authors look for artists, teachers, scientists, soldiers, cooks whatever because the more perspectives you get the better your writing will be trust me reaching a wide audience is key and running the gauntlet of betas is the way to success in this endevour.
(I bet there’s gonna be a lot of gun metaphors in this thing, what do you think? Eh? Eh?)
- Give your betas your work in a form easy for them to manage ie Eformat, or a word doc they can convert, or a PDF just whatever makes it easiest for them. They’re doing you a service remember lol.
- Beta’s don’t be afraid to ask for something to help you along the way. also communicate with the author, if something confuses you in the reading take a quote and shoot and email asking for clarification.
- Don’t nit pick the small stuff. spelling can be easily fixed but a shitty character, drop plot line, or a plot hole the size of Jupiter not so much.
- author’s don’t get offended we know this is your baby and we will be as gentle bu honest as possible, and beta’s don’t be fucking cruel man. Karma is a bitch let me tell you.
Well these are just some general things to think about when beta’ing or looking for beta’s. If you have any ideas to add or think I spouting out absolute nonsense then let me know and comment away but until next this Big Bear *slips back in the den*